Thursday, January 21, 2010

Blog Prompt 3



This Sprint commercial first aired during Superbowl XL. I am not sure how this commercial will live up to the ideas of logos, pathos, and ethos, but I consider this commercial the greatest commercial of all time.

The logos in this commercial is little, but it packs a big punch. Simply mentioning the Sprint name gives this commercial credit. Sprint is always in the top four when comparing cell phone companies and they obviously know what they are doing. Sprint was one of the first companies to allow their customers to download entire songs and watch television straight from their phones. Sprint is obviously a very logical company and is a household name.

The pathos in this commercial is what makes this commercial amazing. The commercial is hilarious. This is one of the few commercials I have laughed at and still remember the brand name. The writers were careful to add in comedy directly related to the product they were trying to sell. I can watch it over and over again and I will still laugh every time.

The ethos in this commercial, like logos, is less prominent. Again, the Sprint name is largely responsible with giving the commercial credit. Along with mentioning Sprint, the commercial names many new features in cell phone technology (for the time). This adds credibility and shows that the company not only knows what it is talking about, but is one of the leaders in advanced cell phone technology.

Overall, I think this commercial is one of the greatest commercials ever.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, this commercial is a good one, good for a laugh if nothing else. I think you're right that the logos and ethos are combined by naming Sprint within the commercial. It is definetly memorable through the pathos due to its comedy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never seen that advert before, and it made me laugh as well. I think it's the sheer randomness of the 'crime deterrent' that amuses me. Plus, as Tosh.0 teaches us, people getting hit is always funny.

    Anyway, great job of analysing the logos, pathos and ethos in the commercial.

    ReplyDelete